Previous to the Reformation, one of the pilgrimages in Scotland was to Dunfermline Abbey, on account of the shrine of St Margaret. There are still to be seen in Dalmeny parish, about a mile from South Queensferry, on the Edinburgh road, the remains of the "Pilgrim's Cross," It is on the south side of the road, on the summit of the rock, through which the road has been cut, and where the first view of Dunfermline, previous to the trees being planted, would be had by a pilgrim from the south; on reaching which he would no doubt kneel down in gratitude and adoration for such a near termination of his journey, and for joy at the prospect of soon treading the sacred courts of the monastery.
The upper part of the shaft of the cross has been broken off, but the lower part, about a foot in height, still remains in the centre of the old stone pedestal, which is between three and four feet square. This has recently been very properly surrounded by four new stones, fastened together with iron, for security. Bishop Geddes, in describing the spot, says, "that it a regarded as a place of devotion, and a cross of stone was erected, which was demolished at the change of religion; but its pedestal is still to be seen, and the eminence has the name to this day (1794) of Cross Hill, and so, like-wise, the neighbouring farm is called."
[Historical & Statistical Account of Dunfermline by P. Chalmers Vol. 1. p.132]